Blatter urges FIFA World Cup boycott: Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has joined a growing list of political leaders and football officials urging fans to boycott matches of the 2026 FIFA World Cup in the United States, citing concerns over policies of the Trump administration and their impact on international visitors.
The tournament, scheduled from June 11 to July 19, 2026, will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico. However, increasing political tensions and travel restrictions have triggered debate about whether the US remains a suitable host nation.
Blatter Supports Public Call to Stay Away
Blatter voiced his position through a post on social media platform X, referencing comments made by Swiss legal expert Mark Pieth, who previously oversaw FIFA governance reforms.
“I think Mark Pieth is right to question this World Cup,” Blatter wrote, backing Pieth’s advice for football supporters to avoid traveling to the United States.
Pieth warned that fans could face problems at US borders if they do not satisfy immigration officials.
“You’ll see it better on TV anyway,” he said, suggesting that supporters may be denied entry and sent back home.
Blatter, now 89, led FIFA from 1998 to 2015 before resigning amid a corruption investigation. Despite his controversial past, his comments have reignited international debate about politics and sport.
Travel Bans Spark Global Alarm
Much of the criticism stems from US immigration measures affecting several football-playing nations.
Recent announcements from the Trump administration restrict travel from countries such as:
-
Senegal
-
Ivory Coast
-
Iran
-
Haiti
These nations all have teams that qualified for the 2026 World Cup. Officials cited “screening and vetting deficiencies” as justification for the restrictions.
Football associations argue that such policies undermine FIFA’s core values of inclusion and equal participation.
European Officials Question FIFA’s Neutrality
Oke Göttlich, vice president of the German Football Federation and president of St Pauli football club, said it was time to reconsider participation.
“Qatar was criticised for political reasons, and now we pretend this tournament is apolitical,” he said in an interview with German media.
Göttlich raised historical comparisons to Olympic boycotts in the 1980s, asking whether current political risks are even greater today.
He also questioned FIFA leadership, stating that sporting organizations must defend human rights and set clear moral boundaries.
African and British Leaders Join the Debate
Calls for a boycott are not limited to Europe.
South African opposition leader Julius Malema urged his country’s football federation to withdraw entirely from the tournament.
“We cannot allow a country that disrespects international law to host the World Cup,” Malema said, drawing parallels with the international boycotts imposed on apartheid-era South Africa.
In the United Kingdom, members of Parliament have also proposed that England and Scotland reconsider participation following US statements about territorial expansion and global diplomacy.
Fan Movements Gain Momentum
Public pressure is also growing. In the Netherlands, more than 100,000 fans have signed an online petition calling on their national team to boycott the event.
However, the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB) responded that it is monitoring geopolitical developments and remains in discussion with the government.
Key Figures Calling for a Boycott
| Country/Organization | Representative | Position |
|---|---|---|
| FIFA (former) | Sepp Blatter | Supports fan boycott |
| Germany | Oke Göttlich | Urges serious discussion |
| Switzerland | Mark Pieth | Advises fans to stay away |
| South Africa | Julius Malema | Calls for national withdrawal |
| Netherlands (fans) | 100,000+ petitioners | Demand boycott |
FIFA Yet to Respond Officially
So far, FIFA President Gianni Infantino has not issued a formal response to the boycott campaign. The governing body continues preparations for the tournament alongside host nations Canada and Mexico.
Analysts note that FIFA faces a difficult balancing act between maintaining political neutrality and addressing concerns related to human rights, immigration, and international diplomacy.
Sport, Politics, and Global Values
The debate highlights a broader question:
Should international sporting events remain separate from political realities?
For some football leaders, the answer is no. They argue that silence risks normalizing policies they believe contradict the spirit of global sport.
“The life of a professional player is not worth more than the lives of countless people being threatened or harmed,” Göttlich said.
Conclusion
With three years remaining before kickoff, pressure on FIFA and national football associations is increasing. What began as individual criticism has grown into an international movement involving politicians, fans, and former football executives.
Whether these calls result in official withdrawals or remain symbolic protests, the controversy surrounding the 2026 World Cup underscores how deeply politics and sport have become intertwined on the world stage.
3 thoughts on “Blatter urges FIFA World Cup boycott”